When considering professional hair removal, many people think that Electrolysis and Laser Hair Removal are the same, but nothing could be further than the truth. Electrolysis treats each hair individually with an electric current passed through a fine needle. Laser Hair Removal uses a beam of light to treat many hairs over a small area at once. So which one is right for you?
Depending on your individual circumstances and the level of hair removal you desire, you may be best using Electrolysis, Laser Hair Removal, or a combination of the two. Let's take a look at some of the pros and cons of each type of hair removal.
- Electrolysis is the only method of hair removal proven to be truly permanent.
- Electrolysis can treat any type or colour of hair on any type or colour of skin. Fine white hairs or darker skin tones are not a problem with electrolysis.
- Has been used for more than 100 years and is well regarded as a safe and effective method of removing unwanted hair.
- Many treatments will be needed to achieve the desired results with regular treatments necessary over a long period of time.
Laser Hair Removal
- Laser Hair Removal can treat large areas in a small amount of time
- Desired results are usually achieved with between 4 and 6 sessions
- If full clearing is not required, laser can help to reduce the amount of irritation from shaving and reduce the amount of shaving that is necessary.
- Laser works best on people with dark hair and light skin tones. Finer, lighter hairs may not be treated effectively.
- Laser Hair Removal can only offer permanent hair reduction with between 40-80% of hairs being removed through a course of treatments.
How do you know which method to choose?
If you have a small amount of hair on your face or neck that you would like removed, Electrolysis could be the best choice for you. If you have a large area on your body that you would like treated, such as your legs or back, Laser Hair Removal might be appropriate. Some people choose to clear a large amount of hair with laser, then finish up with electrolysis to treat the hairs left behind.
At The Newton Clinic we specialise in both Electrolysis and Laser Hair Removal and can help you decide which method best suits your individual situation. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation and learn how to best take care of your unwanted hair.